I’ll admit, email marketing has never been a priority when it’s come to my blog. I couldn’t see how bombarding people with emails about my latest blog posts was going to help me in any way.
I didn’t understand why building an email list for your blog is so important.
I now see how naïve that was!
I’ve always found that my email inbox was a private thing, only a select few people were allowed in and if any company or brand started emailing me consistently, I’d press that unsubscribe box quicker than you could say “Buy More Stuff”.
As I started to concentrate more on monetising my blog, I quickly began to realise how crucial an email marketing list really was.
As they say, the money is in the list, and I was effectively ignoring my large subscriber list sitting patiently waiting for more information.
It makes sense when you think about it. You put a subscriber button on your website asking readers to sign up for your latest news, new blog posts and what you have to offer.
These are your biggest fans. They have given you their email address without having to beg, borrow or steal. This is why building an email list for your blog is so important!
I keep reading the statistic, “for every reader on your subscriber list, you could be earning around a dollar a month”.
I will go into detail about how, but this is a figure we can’t ignore. I currently have 2000 email subscribers on my melaniejadedesign.com list and it’s growing quite quickly every day.
These are people that are happy to engage with your content, read your blogs and potentially buy from you.
Still not convinced why you need to spend your valuable time building an email list and having an email marketing strategy?
Here are 10 Reasons why building an email list for your blog is important.
1. Emails are delivered straight into your subscriber’s email box.
There are no algorithms, no third-party app that decides what you should see, and no jostling with all the other social media accounts to be seen and heard.
Emails are direct, personal and easily seen. Who doesn’t check their email inbox every day?
2. It helps grow your page views
Think about it, who hasn’t clicked on an email promotion in their email inbox? If you set up an effective email marketing strategy, all your subscribers (who like your content enough to sign up for more) will receive a weekly email telling them what’s new and sending them in the direction of your blog.
We all live hectic lives and need a nudge now and then that our favourite bloggers have posted.
3. Email is personal
We are bombarded with information these days. Social media channels, Pinterest, and other bloggers. I follow over 1700 people on Instagram alone and do not see my favourite accounts often (probably time for a cull!).
As your emails get sent straight to your subscriber’s inbox, it cuts out all the noise. It is not public or drowned out by all the other millions of bits of content on our timelines and newsfeed.
Readers can digest it in their own time and not quickly scroll to the latest trend or dancing video.
4. It helps build your brand
Popping into someone’s email inbox each week reminds them you are still here and posting.
If you send emails consistently, it helps build familiarity and brand awareness.
Readers will come to expect your email each week, remembering your style, colour palette and branding.
This is why branding is so important!
5. Your subscribers don’t have to do anything!
Email is passive. Your email drops into your subscriber’s inbox every week without them having to do anything.
With social media, Pinterest and your blog, readers have to actively go to the app or website and find what they need. Often, your posts and content will not even appear in their timelines.
Even if they don’t read or click on any of your links, they will more likely see your email and it reminds them you are still here.
6. You own that email list
Probably one of the most important factors in creating an email list, you own it!
You do not own Instagram, TikTok or Google and their consistent algorithm changes and policies.
For the last 5 months, for reasons unknown, I have not been able to use trending or popular music on Instagram.
It has had a big effect on my content and visibility and there is nothing I can do about it.
Social media apps come and go. Facebook, and to some extent, Instagram, have stopped growing and who knows where these platforms will be in years to come? Does anyone remember MySpace? Or Bebo?
You may have thousands of followers, but what happens when they start to fizzle out? Or a hacker gets control of your account? Or, like many people I know on Instagram, have their accounts deleted or suspended.
There’s all your content and possible income sources gone at the touch of a button.
I constantly say, don’t put all your eggs in an Instagram-shaped basket. Having a large email list is so important as it’s yours and there are no outside influences that can take that away from you.
7. Less work, more gain
Everyone wants this right? As I explained in my blog post
only 3.1% of my blog traffic from last month came from social media.
Social media platforms like Instagram and Facebook do not drive traffic to your blog. TikTok seems to be a bit better as the audience is younger and tends to engage more.
If you are looking to increase your traffic and consequently, make more money from your blog, you have to find better ways at driving traffic.
A quick 5-minute email once a week will have a better impact than hours spent on social media. It is a more targeted approach as it is directed at people who want to read more of your blog.
Your social media followers probably see around 20% of your content and only spend seconds watching or engaging.
8. You can make money from your list
You can! This is something that sparked my interest from the start, and I was a little perplexed as to how.
It isn’t as straightforward as just sending an email and getting money directly from it. It is what the email list strategy can do for you.
There are multiple ways you can make money as a blogger –
- Advertising – by placing banner adverts on your website
- Affiliate links
- Selling services
- Selling products
- Working with brands on sponsored posts
These are the main ways you can make money blogging and all of them can be directly linked to your email list.
- The more page views you get on your blog, the more money you will make via Advertising. If you have a large email list and send regular updates, hopefully, your subscribers will click on the links and head over to your website. This equals more page views!
- Like advertising, sending regular updates hopefully means more eyes on your blog. And, in turn, more people click on your affiliate links. You can also add affiliate links directly in your emails.
- If you sell a service like social media management or training to help people with a hobby, readers might not automatically realise this when they click on your blog. You can send emails to subscribers directing them straight to your coaching package and services. The best way to do this is by giving discounts and building up excitement about new courses and offers.
- Another great way to make money from your email list is to sell products. If a reader has subscribed to your blog, they already like what you do and are the best potential customers. It is much easier to sell a product or course to readers who have subscribed than to someone who has just found you via a Google search.
- How can you make money with sponsored posts via your email list? Your subscriber list is a huge factor when talking to Brands about a sponsored post. Brands love the idea that their products can drop into someone’s email box via your email campaigns, so you should always include your subscriber list when pitching to brands. This will help increase the amount you can charge for a sponsored post. It can also have a big impact on brands choosing who to work with.
- eBooks are everywhere. In fact, my whole journey of teaching myself blogging and social media came from an eBook I purchased from another blogger. Everyone can get on board with creating an eBook. From tutorials on how to create a wall hanging, to how to become an influencer, it is so easy to sell your knowledge. The best way to reach out to people is via their inboxes!
This is one of the most important reasons why building an email list for your blog should be your no. 1 priority!
There is huge potential to make money from it.
9. More people use email
On average, 2.9 billion users visit Facebook each month, 1.4 billion monthly active users visit Instagram and TikTok is fast approaching with 1 billion. That’s a lot of people!
However, not everyone person who uses the internet will have accounts on all 3 platforms.
They will, however, have an email address! It is estimated that there are over 4 billion active email accounts and approximately 306 billion emails sent and received every day.
That’s over half the world’s population with an email address and all regularly checking in to read their emails. As a business, you would be crazy not to tap into this almighty resource and let people know you are here!
10. It builds trust
As long as you use your email list wisely and don’t continually spam your subscribers, they will come to recognise your emails as (hopefully) informative, useful and fun.
Even if they don’t want to click on the link or buy any of your products, your regular emails will build trust with your subscribers. They will be reminded every so often that you are still around and producing great content.
You can show them over time that you are an expert in your field and can be trusted. If they ever need products or services in your niche, they’ll come to your website first!
I think you’ve probably realised now why building an email list for your blog is so important.
This is something that took a while for me to get my head around and it’s silly really. It’s all quite easy to understand why you need an email list and how it can have a huge impact on your blog page views, making money and building up an audience that trusts you.
What to do next?
First, you need to find a good email service provider and start building that subscriber list. There are loads of great email marketing services like ConvertKit, MailerLite and MailChimp.
In the next blog post, I will show you how to get started and how to build that important email marketing list!